‘One of a limited number of Senior Circuit specialists outside London with a recognised big money ancillary relief practice. Known for his knowledge and ability in this area of the law and his detailed preparation and attention to his brief. Counsel without any sense of arrogance who is well respected for his reassuring manner and his professional relationships with his clients and a willingness to tenaciously argue a case whoever the tribunal. Recorder ticketed to sit on family cases. A married man with 4 children and an independent school governor. Author of several published articles and the source of regular updating bulletins in ancillary relief to his instructing solicitors and local judiciary’.
- Ashley has been for many years an innovator of a more discrete service to both solicitors and clients. He was the first family law barrister on the Northern Circuit two decades ago to identify the need to provide his solicitors and clients with a comprehensive complimentary written summary of the issues discussed and advice given following his conferences. He led the way on Circuit in the introduction of the now standard detailed written summaries and financial schedules in divorce money cases.
- He has been consistently ranked as a leading practitioner in Divorce and Family Finance work by the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners Lawyers Directories over a number of years.
- He was the first practitioner on the Northern Circuit to specialise exclusively in divorce and financial remedy cases almost 20 years ago.
- On 14th May 2014 Ashley was accredited as a Solicitor’s Regulation Authority approved external CPD provider.
- He was the original campaigner and instigator of the present ‘Money Judge’ system uniquely introduced outside London several years ago to the North West.
- He has been authorised by the Lord Chancellor to sit as a Judge on family and criminal cases for over 21 years and most recently has been uniquely authorised by the President of the Family Division as a Recorder to preside over divorce money appeals from District Judges.
- He is the co-author of ‘Cohabitation, Law Practice and Precedents’ sixth edition – March 2015 (Jordans Publishing Ltd) of this standard legal publication.
- He has had many articles published over the last fifteen years in leading family law journals.
- He has also provided over many years regular Family Law Finance Flyers to his solicitors and also to the District Judge Bench. These articles and flyers are now accessible here on line.
- His published works have been referred to in the House of Lords (Radmacher v Granantino  UKSC 42) and the Court of Appeal (Jones v Jones  EWCA Civ 41).
- He has over many years presented seminars to the Law Society and solicitors throughout the North West as well as to the Chester Law College concerning divorce and financial remedy law and practice.
- He received a Harmsworth Scholarship from the Middle Temple and was called to the Bar in July 1974. Thereafter he joined Oriel Chambers, Liverpool in 1974 as pupil to the late Judge John Stannard. He remained in Oriel Chambers for a few weeks short of four decades (2014) and when he left he was the longest ever serving member of those Chambers and Head of the Family Group.
- He was appointed an Assistant Recorder in 1992 and a Recorder in 1998. He has now been sitting as a judge on family and criminal cases for over 21 years.
- He was appointed a Governor of the Bury Grammar Boys and Girls Schools in the 1980’s and a director of the same in 2009.
- He and his wife, Deborah are the parents of 4 children, Tara, Elicia, Jordan and Joshua and the grandparents of two grandchildren Adriana and Isabella.
“Highly experienced with excellent client care skills, and always undertakes detailed preparatory work. Extremely knowledgeable and very professional – He focuses on financial remedy cases, and is regularly instructed to represent high-net-worth individuals.” – 2016, Legal 500
“Ashley of Ashley Murray Chambers, continues to enjoy a reputation as one of the Northern Circuit’s most experienced practitioners in financial remedy proceedings. He focuses his practice on high net worth cases.” – 2014, Chambers and Partners Counsel Directory
“His knowledge of the law is first-class. He is probably the most experienced counsel on the circuit and his reputation precedes him.” “An erudite and persuasive advocate who deals with complex financial cases conscientiously and sensitively. A real star of the Merseyside Family Bar.” – 2014, Chambers and Partners Counsel Directory
“Widely regarded as a leading figure for financial proceedings on the Northern Circuit” – 2013, Chambers and Partners
“Band 1 – Ashley Murray is experienced in big money cases and is regularly instructed in financial provision cases. Something of a “detail merchant” sources recommend his analytical skills. He is “a top choice for complex papers and difficult issues.” – Chambers and Partners 2011 – Family Law – Legal Experts 2010.
“Ashley Murray – a senior barrister with a wealth of experience. He is known to be “meticulous and reliable in all he does.” – Chambers & Partners, 2009.
‘‘Good advocate and firm negotiator’, Ashley Murray concentrates on high net worth ancillary relief matters and keeps opposing counsel on their toes by ’spending a lot of time on his cases’’ – Chambers & Partners, 2008.
‘‘Ashley Murray is ‘thorough, professional and very experienced’’ – Legal 500 (2009 Ed)
‘‘Ashley Murray is a key player in a popular group of barristers’’ – Legal 500 (2008 Ed)
‘‘Ashley Murray is recommended for ancillary relief and who ‘must be the best prepared counsel on Circuit’’ – Legal 500 (2007 Ed)
“Liverpool houses two of the longest-serving family counsel on the circuit. “Good advocate and firm negotiator” Ashley Murray concentrates on high net worth ancillary relief matters and keeps opposing counsels on their toes by “spending a lot of time on his cases.”” – Chambers, 2008
“ASHLEY MURRAY is recommended for Ancillary Relief and who ‘must be the best prepared barrister on the Circuit.” – Legal 500, 2006
“He really prepares to within an inch of his life, leaves no stone unturned and is wonderful for it. He’s an absolute safe pair of hands and a solid practitioner.” – Expertise
“The conduct and expertise displayed by Mr Murray in the courtroom were outstanding. Not only did he argue the case well, but he was very current with new law.” – Expertise
Appointments and Awards
Recorder ticketed to hear divorce financial appeals (2013)
Assistant Recorder (1992)
Harmsworth Scholar (1974)
Family Law Bar Association
LLB (Hons) University of Birmingham